Making mature students feel welcome
One of the problems mature students face is that they have a feeling of being different than the majority of students. As this might already lead to prospective students not joining the university, it might be a good idea to make them feel welcome! Use these models as inspiration at your HEI if you do not already address the issue at your school. You may also wish to benchmark the approaches presented here and adapt them to your HEI’s needs.
University of Salford Manchester: Mature students over 21s
- Mature Students – over 21s: support is available
- Alternative Entry Scheme: if you have not gained the traditional entry requirements
- University Life: join student societies!
- Accreditation of prior learning
Read more at https://www.salford.ac.uk/askus/our-services/diversity-and-faith/mature-students
Nottingham Trent University
- Employers Forum on Age: An independent network of employers who recognise the value of an age diverse workforce
- Daphne Jackson Trust: The Trust implements a Fellowship scheme to enable a return to careers in science or engineering through updated knowledge and renewed professional skills
- Department for Children, Schools and Families
Read more at http://www4.ntu.ac.uk/employability/your_career/diversity/mature_students/index.html
The Law Society
- Age is not a barrier to qualifying as a solicitor.
- Law firms/organisations also increasingly recognise that the insight, skills and experience that mature students and career changers bring to a firm helps to shape a dynamic and diverse workforce.
- If you decide to pursue a law career, you should be realisict about what the next few years ahead will require.
- As a mature student, you should research different routes to qualification.
- Guide to starting out as a solicitor for mature students and career changers
Read more at https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/law-careers/becoming-a-solicitor/equality-and-diversity/mature-students/
University of Birmingham
- Who are mature students? – If you feel that this page helps you, please use it.
- Challenges of being a mature student
- Postgraduate and Mature Students‘ Association (PGMSA)
- A week in the life of mature students
Read more at https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/welcome/welcome-week-and-beyond/accessing-support/maturestudents/index.aspx
Sources: University of Salford Manchester, Nottingham Trent University, The Law Society and University of Birmingham